Celebrities make a lot of money. When they get divorced, their settlements are a lot larger than the average person’s. Here are the top 5 biggest celebrity divorce settlements.
5. Tiger Woods & Elin Nordengren – $100 Million
Part of the settlement requires Nordengren to keep quiet about Tiger’s numerous affairs, so what’s left of his reputation remains intact. Nordengren was also granted full legal custody of the couple’s 3-year-old daughter and 1-year-old son. Tiger will share physical custody.
4. Steven Spielberg & Amy Irving – $100 Million
This divorce was settled in 1989. The couple had a prenuptial agreement, but it was nullified because it was written on a napkin and was created without an attorney’s assistance. Both have remarried since the divorce.
3. Neil Diamond & Marcia Murphey – $150 Million
The pair married in 1969 and split in 1994 over “irreconcilable differences.” That means Murphey was awarded $5.5 million for every year the couple was together. After the settlement, Diamond said his wife was “worth every penny.”
2. Michael & Juanita Jordan – $168 Million
The Jordans married in 1989, early in Michael’s NBA career. A year following their marriage they signed a post-nuptial agreement that entitled Juanita to half of his fortune. They divorced in 2007.
1. Rupert & Anna Murdoch – $1.7 Billion
This 1999 divorce is known as the most expensive settlement ever. The couple split on good terms after a 30 year marriage, but Anna wanted to make sure her 3 sons (that she had with Rupert) weren’t pushed aside in the family trust.
The Daily Beast
Latest posts by Katie Lammers (see all)
- Study Suggests Online Matches Lead To More Divorces - September 26, 2014
- Family Income Level May Predict How Divorce Affects Children - September 19, 2014
- Tweet and “Like” Your Way to a Divorce - August 8, 2014